Monday, August 18, 2008

Truth for Today


I'm starting to read again. It's been awhile and I suppose the business has kept me from studying as much as I should, but not as much as my own flesh has. I bought some books from a dear friend, Lane and one of them is a daily devotional called Truth for Today by John MacArthur.


In the preface of the book, Dr. MacArthur talks about human wisdom. He's so good.

He says, "The last century produced an information explosion unparalleled in human history. Yet modern knowledge has been unable to shed any new light on the most basic spiritual questions facing the human race. That's exatly how the Bible describes mankind in the end times: "always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth" (2 Tim. 3:7).

Man has solved incredibly difficult problems in the fields of mathematics, astronomy, microbiology and even space travel. But the true meaning of life stubbornly eludes those whose methods of pursuit are purely rational. They end up totally puzzled about life, death, God, man, sin, heaven, hell, love, joy, and peace.

The problem is that spiritual answers cannot be deduced by human reason alone (1 Cor. 2:14). It's not that spiritual truth is irrational or illogical, but that human wisdom is defective, because it's tainted by man's sinfulness, and unable to perceive the things of God."

Wow, it's true. Sometimes I still get these fleetings moments of doubt, but it's true. That's why God's Word is so important. I'm very analytical by nature and so the supernatural eludes me at times, but then there are other times when I'm just slapped with the reality of the supernatural. I've actually heard of people who, like the Pharises cannot see the truth. Election for example, "I just don't see it" "I don't believe because it's not there" What? Yes it is! God is working on me to be more merciful, loving and compassionate.

For we live by faith, not by sight. 2 Cor. 5:7

No comments: